Pleasley Pit Nature Group

history

Coal mining began at Pleasley in 1873 and ended in 1983.The waste rock which was excavated from the mine was tipped on nearby fields, eventually the soil covered 150 acres. A few years after the mine had closed British Coal agreed that Derbyshire County Council could take over the site. There were many suggestions about how to use it and eventually everyone agreed that it should become a Country Park. Ponds were created, drainage ditches ensured that the water went where it was most needed, reed beds and native trees were planted. Within a short time many varieties of plants, animals, birds and insects have come to live on the site

The Site has now been Upgraded from a Countryside Park to Local Nature Reserve

 

 

Follow us on Face Book               face            like